Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day 2007

My thanks and best wishes go out to two women who have been a part of my life, one for nearly 55 years and the other coming on 26 years. Each has had a major effect on my personal development and I cannot possibly thank them enough for all they have done.

My mother taught me how to hear and read critically, and not to accept everything unquestioningly. We may not agree on everything, but I still approach the Bible in much the same way as she encouraged me to while I was growing up. She was the primary parent during the two times my father went to war (although I have no memories of the time he was in Korea). She entered the workforce relatively late, but worked hard in the home to ensure that her four kids were able to grow up in a loving home. Being a mother is a tough job, and one that is greatly undervalued.

My wife, whom I first met in 1977, has been a joy to me as we dated and throughout our marriage beginning in 1981. She has taught me much about love and how to show it, even to people who are hard to love. Her interests parallel and complement my own (always a good thing), and together we have learned new things and developed new interests. Eleven years into our marriage we had a son together who is now fourteen, and together we are trying to ease his passage from childhood to adulthood. It's an awfully short amount of time we have to raise a child....

Happy Mother's Day, Mom and Susan!

No comments: