Monday, February 06, 2006

Bono Waxes 'Prophetic' - Christianity Today Magazine

Bono Waxes 'Prophetic' - Christianity Today Magazine:
Rock-star/activist inspired by Leviticus and Isaiah.
by Sheryl Henderson Blunt | posted 02/06/2006 09:45 a.m.

"While every celebrity seems to have a cause, few stars get their inspiration from Scripture.

That is what sets lead U2 singer Bono apart. Sporting his trademark tinted sunglasses, the rock star spoke to an audience of more than 3,000 at the National Prayer Breakfast February 2, imploring them to respond to the United States' urgent responsibility to help "the least of these."

Two passages drive his message, Bono says: the call in Leviticus 25 for a Year of Jubilee and debt forgiveness, and the command in Isaiah 58 to share with the hungry and provide for the poor.

"Thus sayeth the Lord: 'Bring the homeless poor into the house, when you see the naked, cover him, then your light will break out like the dawn and your recovery will speedily spring forth, then your Lord will be your rear guard," Bono quoted from Isaiah 58:7-8...."

There is no question about Bono's dedication to the cause of suffering in the world.

His involvement in such organizations as The ONE Campaign intersects with the Presbyterian Church's interests in the relief of suffering in the world. It also resonates with my personal interests as chair of my congregation's Mission Committee. We recently researched a covenant relationship with Bread for the World for our congregation, and wrote out a rationale for joining with this organization, which also partners with The One Campaign.

What impresses me about The ONE Campaign, Bread for the World, and Bono's involvment is that fact that they recognize that the problem is multifactored, and therefore the solution must deal with the various factors that lead to hunger, poverty and disease.

Twenty some years ago Mike Kruse, who blogs at the Kruse Kronicle, introduced me and my wife to this group called U2. I'll admit that it took a while for the music to grow on me, as my tastes run more to Bach, Mendelsohn, and that ilk, but my wife really likes U2, so we have most of their albums. U2 has grown on me, but more than that, my respect for Bono has grown, and I hope his continued involvement in relief of suffering gets more people, politicians and nations involved.

No comments: