Thursday, July 26, 2007

What Would Jonathan Edwards Say About Harry Potter? | Christianity Today

What Would Jonathan Edwards Say About Harry Potter? | Christianity Today:
"So there we have it. The most engrossing imaginative world created at the start of the 21st century is essentially pagan. Don't get me wrong—I like the Harry Potter series. I've read all of the books. And I'm sure Jonathan Edwards would have done so, too.

Edwards was acutely aware of the cultural movements of his time. He said in 'Some Thoughts Concerning the Revival' that he made it his practice to take light from wherever it came. ..."
This is the second of two Harry Potter reviews -- one that sees the Harry Potter books as pagan at their core, but with elements of truth that can be gleaned through critical reading. Both these reviews are well worth the time to read them.

I especially appreciate the comment that Josh Moody makes here about how Jonathan Edwards engaged the Enlightenment by recognizing that truth could be found and that what was not true could be engaged with Christian principles.

As I mentioned in the previous posting on Bob Smietana's review, there are "spoilers" in both reviews. I will go ahead now and make a few comments of my own in the next posting.

No comments: