Thursday, August 30, 2007

SCI FI Tech: Top 10 Tech Toys for the Filthy Rich

SCI FI Tech: Top 10 Tech Toys for the Filthy Rich:
"Just as cell phones are becoming ever more powerful übergadgets, and flat TV screens get larger even as their prices drop, so, too, do the gadgets of the upper crust further distance themselves from the trinkets of the masses. For better or worse, most of the guts of even the priciest pieces of tech are pretty much the same as those of the glitterati — even if the oil sheiks and Level III Scientologists of the world can afford to house those guts in 24-karat gold inlaid with Babe Ruth's bone fragments."
In yesterday's posting on the subject of electronic gadgets, I described my frustration with the failure of cell phone and other electronic device makers to get together on a standard charger. I also acknowledged my weakness for gadgets. Of course you have to concede that a cell phone is much more than a luxury -- it has created its own need.

But now here is an article that makes my personal peccadilloes seem trivial -- I mean not even in my wildest electronic fantasies would I go for a gold-plated Ipod Shuffle with diamonds.

My personal favorite was the $1200 docking station for Ipods and other MP3 players. To be sure, the author of this article pointed out that there is an Ipod docking option for BMWs, which, depending on how you define "docking station", could make it the most egregious example of conspicuous consumption.

My loving wife still points out the ever-increasing pile of dead and obsolete cell phones and other electronic devices that have accumulated over many years....

3 comments:

Michael Kruse said...

"My loving wife still points out the ever-increasing pile of dead and obsolete cell phones and other electronic devices that have accumulated over many years...."

I'm saving mine. I'm going to start a tech museum when I retire.

Unknown said...

I'm saving mine. I'm going to start a tech museum when I retire.

The first computer I ever owned was an Osborne-1. Imagine my surprise when I saw one at the Smithsonian.

Michael Kruse said...

I had a Commodore VIC-20 that got stolen from a storage locker long after it was retired. I wish I still had it for my museum.

As for the Smithsonian, I don't look to closely at some exhibits. They make me feel old.

:)