Friday, July 28, 2006

Sysadmin Appreciation Day

Beau Weston, over at the Gruntled Center had an interesting posting on Sysadmin Appreciation Day as it relates to some arcane sociological concept. Arcane, at least to me.

A friend send me an email pointing this high holy day to me, and I basked in the thought that there are some people who appreciate the behind-the-scenes things we do to keep the packets flowing.

At 9:03 pm I received a phone call from the data center -- there had been a University-wide power outage and the UPS systems had kicked in as they should have. The only problem was the backup generator did not, and the UPSes drained after a few minutes, and the data center went dark. I met the two other sysadmins for our group, and we managed to get everything going in a little under an hour.

I guess this was an appropriate day to get called in after hours. It really doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it's a doozy.

No comments: